On the ground floor of Palazzo Alfieri, the Eugenio Guglielminetti Foundation hosts numerous temporary exhibitions. In the permanent exhibition, inaugurated in 2016 in the underground rooms of Palazzo Alfieri, sculptures and scenic designs, i.e. 50 years of Guglielminetti’s activity, are displayed.
This tower is one of Asti’s main symbols. It is 44 metres high and the highest medieval tower in Piedmont. It is the only tower which can be visited in the town: the internal wood staircase has 199 steps up to the battlement floor. From here the view over the town and surrounding hills is splendid.
L'area museale è caratterizzata da una pregiata collezione di pezzi autentici che documentano la vita di uno dei pionieri dell'industria conserviera Francesco Cirio. E’ illustrata la storia della sua attività di promozione e commercializzazione dei prodotti e il packaging: libri, diari, ricettari, opuscoli agende, listini ed etichette delle varie epoche.
The Museum hosted in the rooms of Palazzo Mazzola (14th century), seat of the Historical Archives, illustrates the most significant moments in the history of Asti and its Palio. In addition to documents never exposed to the public, you can see vintage posters, old banners of the Palio and use multimedia stations offering visitors in-depth information and striking images.
The complex in the heart of Asti previously home to the “Ponte di Lombriasco” family, then “Cotti di Ceres” and now “Gazelli di Rossana”, covers almost an entire block and is made up of two adjacent buildings:
- The aristocratic residence of medieval origin modified in the mid-18th century by the court architect Benedetto Alfieri, which comprises the tower
- The adjoining residence also of medieval origin, modified in the mid-19th century by architect Valessina according to principals of the "casa da reddito" in order to transform the estate into a business, comprising two large courtyards, various agricultural storerooms, a granary barn and a fabulous stable block with impressive vaulted ceilings.
During the visit the rooms used in the past as wine cellars and the two large courtyards can be admired.
Davide Laiolo’s art collection consists of 100 works (paintings, sculptures, graphic works) by contemporary Italian artists (Renato Guttuso, Aligi Sassu, Antonio Ligabue, Carlo Carrà)located in thre halls in Palazzo Crova. The history building also houses Museo del Gusto, a journey to discover the taste, the history of food and wine, the personalities and the quality products of the territory, through multimedia suggestions.
The Museum displays testimonies of the wine making process and of life in the ancient Piedmont farmhouses (among the exhibited objects there are wine presses from the 17th and 18th century), as well as an important collection of prints and rare labels from the 17th century to the present day.
The collection, donated by Franco Montanari, is located in the Town Hall and includes paintings and sculptures by contemporary Italian and foreign artists such as Renato Guttuso, Giorgio Morandi, Osvaldo Licini, Modigliani and Marc Chagall.
The museum, located in the beautiful building of the former district prisons, is a venue for exhibitions that are held throughout the year and preserves works donated by famous artists such as Enrico Paulucci, Simone Benetton and Bruno Martinazzi.
It preserves sacred and precious objects such as liturgical vestments and wooden statues from the parishes of Costigliole d' Asti, belonging to the Confraternite di San Gerolamo e della Misericordia (Congregations of St. Jerome and Mercy)
The museum exhibits material collected by the Salesian Missionaries during their travels to Patagonia, Central America, Middle and Far East.
The park and the tower house a museum dedicated to the extraordinary figure of the Earl of St. Robert. The visitor has the opportunity to discover the life and the significance of the Count’s works through his groundbreaking studies (ballistics, artillery, mechanics, hypsometry, thermodynamics) and his interests (botany and entomology).
The Museum tells not only the history of a town and a territory but it is a real journey in more than 150 years of winemaking vocation. Designed by Eugenio Guglielminetti it can be updated and changed over time and is equipped with modern multimedia, including six screens projecting films in multiple languages.
Asti is rich in art, history and tradition, and this space gives the opportunity to learn about its most significant museums.
Sug@R(T)_house offers many tours on two floors and set itself up to visitors, collectors of sugar bags, school groups and meddlers as a living, evolving space, open to collaborations with other museums and capable of enhancing and producing culture.
In the medieval castle of Cisterna d’Asti the Ethnographic Museum collects more than 6000 objects dating back to 1600-1900 and the rooms, the ancient artisan workshops, farmer houses and studios of traditional crafts and trades, some of which are now completely disappeared, are brought to a new life.
Inaugurated in 2010 this venue takes its name from the old church of San Giovanni; it is the first area of the Diocesan Museum of the Cathedral. In the Spazio San Giovanni precious artworks can be admired, such as the gothic wooden choir of the Cathedral by Baldino da Surso (1477), silverware and paraments, sculptures from the 14th century and gravestones from bishops, as well as the fresco from Gandolfino with the “Madonna della Barca”. The visit leads to the crypt dating back to the 8th century. Of the four capitals the Corinthian ones were from the reconstruction of Asti by Theodoric the Great, the others go back to early middle ages (8th – 9th century).
The Synagogue of Asti presents a simple neoclassic exterior with an entrance framed by four columns which hold a gable bearing a good wish message. Internally there are three naves with traditional arched ceilings. At the end of the presbytery is the Aran or Holy Arc, made of ebony by the famous Bonzanigo in 1809: it is a wall cupboard with eight gold sculptured panels. Each panel has a different symbol. The rooms that were once the winter temple host a museum with the liturgical items and other utensils to testify the Hebrew presence in Asti and the multimedia museum “Una finestra sulla storia”.
It was brought to its present form in the year 1754 by the Count Gabuti di Bistagno, who had bought it the year before and modified the pre-existing medieval structure after a project of Benedetto Alfieri. The front has the typical aspect of a building by Alfieri, with its central main door with the balcony above. The Museum displays memorabilia, paintings, weaponry and coins from the period 1797-1870, donated by families of Asti. From the rooms, equipped with multimedia supports, you go down to the air raid shelter from World War II, where a touching projection retraces the events of that period.
Since 2016 the Museum of the Italian Garibaldi Partisan Division can be visited: priceless memorabilia previously safeguarded in Florence and Rom are on display.
Between 1730 and 1751 renovated by Benedetto Alfieri, the building maintains its sumptuous interiors on the first floor with stuccos, transoms and baroque furnishings. Since 1940 it is home of the city art gallery which among other things contains paintings of the so called Maestro di San Martino Alfieri (15th – 16th cent.), works by Guglielmo Caccia, Giancarlo Aliberti, a considerable section on Genovese Painters of the 17th century with two works of Valerio Castello, the wooden microsculptures of G.M Bonzanigo, as well as a rich collection of Piedmontese artists from the 19th and 20th century (Grosso, Delleani, Pittatore, Cagli, Guttuso and so on). The ground floor hosts temporary exhibitions and educational activities.
The Museum is set up in the beautiful rooms and cellars of the 16th century palace, in the past seat of the Monastery of Jesus, important fossils such as the Balenottera di Valmontasca (fin whale) and the Balena Tersilia (whale) and a rich collection of fossil shells are exhibited.
The museum has a double function, as an archaeological site and a museum. The archaeological site conserves the remains of four churches (from the 8th to the 17th centuries) which were part of the Benedictine Monastery Saint Anastasio and the splendid Romanesque Crypt. The museum hosts the sandstone capitals of the second Romanesque Church of Saint Anastasio (beginning of 12th century). Capitals, shelves, sculptured conical arches (13th-15th Cent.) from the lost Gothic Church of the Maddalena, architectural elements and sculptures of the early and late Medieval periods (including the beautiful frontal of Saint Peter Consavia) corner stones and coats of arms of the family strong houses.
The great tragedian Vittorio Alfieri was born in this house on January 16, 1749. The building came to his family during the 17th century and was “modernized” around 1736 by the architect Benedetto Alfieri (a cousin of Vittorio). Beyond the small atrium there is a trapezoidal, very spectacular courtyard, which opens up to the garden on the left, in which the platan of 1849 stands. The first floor contains the apartments and the birth room of Vittorio Alfieri, who lived in this house only until the age of five years. The building hosts the Foundation “Centro Studi Alfieriani” and the Alfieri Museum.
The tapestry museum was founded by Ugo Scassa in1957 in the renovated rooms of the historical Charterhouse of Valmanera. The laboratory produces tapestries using the ancient technique of the high-warp but the subjects are cartoons of modern contemporary artists (Casorati, De Chirico, Cagli, Klee, Mirò, Kandijnski and others). The combination between a technique which has remained the same over the centuries and that of modern day sensibility creates unique and precious works of art. Many are displayed in prestigious seats and others remain to adorn the gallery of the museum where one can mingle after having observed the patient work of the laboratory workers.