8.30am-12noon/3pm - 5.30pm. Masses: workdays 8.00am, Saturday 6pm, Sunday 10.30am, 12noon, 6pm (suspended in July and August)
Dedicated to Our Lady, it was built from the end of the 1200s to the middle of 1300s on a previously existing building site (of which only the mosaic flooring still remains in the presbytery). The Cathedral is the most beautiful and stately example of gothic architecture in Piedmont. The south side is the most spectacular with its Romanesque bell tower (1266), the tall single lancet window with alternate kerbing in cotto and sandstone, the elegant tiburio and the Pelletta tower (14th cent.) which is internally accessible, with frescoes of the 18th century upon the commission of the then Bishop Milliavacca. Most of the works of art, from the baptismal fonts of the 8th century and 1229. In a niche we find a terracotta group dating to 1502. The chapels display the plates of Gandofino d’Asti, a well known renaissance artist of Asti active from the end of the 15th century until 1530. All the wood carvings are very precious and come from the local artisans (18th century).